Let's talk about Apple Sauce

I used to buy apple sauce from HEB (the organic kind of course) but it was getting expensive because my chunky monkey son LOVES his apple sauce.



So I began to make my own. I experimented with two recipes of my own and I just recently found my favorite! But I will list both of them for you so that you can take your pick.

Both of the Recipes include these ingredients and tools:

-Honey Crisp or Fuji Apples (Use Honey Crisp if you can, they are the best just pricey)
-Local Organic Honey (preferably raw)
-Emulsion Blender or food processor (Emulsion Blender works best)
-Big Pot
-Plastic or Glass Bowl
-Stove Top

This is an Emulsion Blender if you are unfamiliar with it. The Kitchen Aid one costs about $40 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MMNB6G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1


RECIPE #1

1. So with this recipe all you have to do is core the apples, cut them into chunks about an inch thick and throw them in a pot of water.
2. Let the apples boil until you can stick a fork in them easily.
3. Remove apples from boiling water and place in a separate plastic or glass bowl.
4. Add about a Tablespoon of honey per 5 apples. (So if you have 10 apples put 2 Tablespoons)
5. Use the Emulsion Blender to puree the apples.
                   You can also put the boiled apples and honey in a food processor to puree.
6. Once it is pureed you can put it into bowls or squeeze packs.
       -For little babies (4-12 months) it is easier to use bowls/small containers. Base the size               of the containers on your baby's appetite. You know your baby best.
      -For babies/toddlers 12+ months Squeeze packs are easiest.
7. I like to use my Squooshi!! See picture below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JXNUR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

The filling station costs about $19 on amazon


Recipe #2 - My Favorite

1. Core the apples
2. Cut into about inch thick pieces and place in empty, already hot pot.
3. Pour in Honey, again 1 Tablespoon per 5 apples
4. Let simmer and mix every so often (DO NOT ADD ANY WATER)
5. Once you can put a fork easily through it with a fork place ALL contents in bowl
FOLLOW STEPS  5 through 7 in recipe #1


The reasoning why Recipe #2 is my favorite:

When you boil the apples and remove them from the water, you leave  most of the flavor in the water.

I hope you and your little munchkins enjoy this apple sauce as much as we do!

God Bless💖

Comments